Capgemini helps Federal organization implement Oracle solution to optimize operational and back office cost structures
The Justice Prisoner and Alien Transportation System (JPATS) is a component of the U.S. Marshals
Service (USMS) formed in 1995 as a merger of air fleets from the USMS and the Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement. JPATS provides effective scheduling and the safe, reliable transportation of Federal, State, and local prisoners and criminal aliens more economically and with higher security than available with commercial airlines.
JPATS’ flight scheduling operations and business management processes were being supported by several
disparate information systems based on older incompatible platforms and databases. This situation had resulted in an inability to track and effectively manage back and front office processes. The organization was looking at a business management and scheduling solution to replace its cumbersome, resource-intensive systems, which supported its uniquely complex operations. JPATS could not find any comparable or best practice solution in the market place and the “best fit” commercial off the shelf (COTS) solutions could only cover up to 60%-70% of JPATS’ requirements.
JPATS awarded a contract to Capgemini to fulfill its requirement.
To accommodate JPATS’ unique operating requirements, the solution - JPATS Management Information System (JMIS) - incorporated a multifaceted system based upon a combination of leading practice technologies including Oracle Transportation Management, Oracle EBS, Oracle APEX-based custom user interface, Oracle Business Intelligence Suite Enterprise Edition and CTA-Flight Operations System. This specific combination of software was one of the first implementations of its kind, and has provided JPATS with the technology foundation for its ongoing process improvement and cost streamlining efforts.
The combined team consisting of experts from JPATS and Capgemini worked towards ensuring several benefits for JPATS and its customers:
- Process improvements that will result in better service and more competitive cost structure
- Scheduling and operational efficiencies (e.g., budget formulation process shortened 10X plus) and cost reduction
- Single source of accurate financial information
- Improved quality of information on prisoner movements, which facilitates safe and reliable transportation of prisoners
- Better and more up-to-date visibility into prisoner movements, which helps facilitate JPATS customers’ planning processes
- Billing process automation and streamlining
- Automated performance metrics data gathering and display
- Timely reporting of performance metrics, which lead to improved accountability and process/performance improvement
- Adaptation of best of breed technologies and inherent leading practices
- Reduced need for paper.